It is necessary to optimise and improve the positioning of your website in search engines, for that there are paid and free tools. In this post I will show you a list of the best free SEO tools that will be very useful and for which you will not have to spend money.
SEO browser extensions
To add these extensions we first search for them in Google and install them in the browser we use, Google Chrome, Firefox or other, in case they are for that browser.
Once installed we click on the top right to display the tool.
SEOquake is an SEO tool available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera browsers. With it you can see many metrics of the website you visit.
The most interesting part of the SEOquake tool is “Diagnostics”, where it shows you a small SEO audit of the page you have set in your browser.
In green it shows what is good and in red what is not. In the Tips tab it gives us indications on how to improve it.
With this SEO tool we can also see information such as:
- Page info: we can see information such as title, description, if it is cached in Google, how many times it has been shared on social networks, number of pages indexed in different search engines, backlinks, etc.
- Internal: to see the internal links of that website, both follow and nofollow and more information about them.
- External: shows the external links, to social networks and other websites.
- Density: measures the density of the keywords to see which are the most repeated. It is recommended that the density is no higher than 4 or 5% so that Google does not penalise you for abusing that keyword.
- Compare URLs/domains: we can put the url of competitors to compare parameters with ours,
The Moz bar is a Google Chrome extension, to use this SEO tool you need to register.
The most interesting thing that the Moz bar shows us is information about the authority of the website, its links and the h1 and h2.
To improve the Page authority and Domain authority you must have external links from other websites with good reputation, the more the better, preferably with a higher domain authority than your website.
- Page authority (PA): shows the authority of a page, the higher the better.
- Domain authority (DA): also shows the authority but in this case of the whole website.
- Spam score: shows a spam score of the links.
- On page elements: tells us the title, description, headings…
- Link Metrics: shows the page and domain authority, and the number of external links.
- Pencil icon: highlights in different colours the type of links we have on our website.
The Web Developer extension is available for Chrome, Opera and Firefox browsers.
Once this extension is installed in our browser it shows us a toolbar which allows us to analyse different elements of a website, activate or deactivate CSS and much more.
Keyword Surfer is another free Google Chrome extension that shows us directly in the search engine the search volume and related keywords.
SEO tool for WordPress
Rankmath is a WordPress plugin that allows us to perform many SEO on page optimizations, along with Yoast SEO are the two most used plugins, although I personally prefer Rank Math, some of the reasons are because it has a better user interface, is lighter and offers more options than Yoast in its free version.
SEO analysis tools
Screaming Frog is a very good SEO tool that simulates the crawl of Google bot on the website that we indicate, either our own or that of the competition, showing us very useful information. This tool must be installed on our computer and it is useful for carrying out an SEO audit of any web page.
With the free version of Screaming Frog you can crawl up to 500 urls, the paid version has no crawling limits, it also provides us with more information and allows us to configure it, but for a simple website the free version will be enough.
Once downloaded and installed on our computer, to use it we simply insert the URL to track and press start, then we will get a detailed analysis of the web. Among which I would highlight:
- Response codes: shows us information about the urls, we can see the response codes, those that are good (200), if there are redirections, errors, … (if there are 4xx or 5xx errors they should be eliminated or corrected).
- Page titles: “missing” indicates those without a title and “duplicate” those that are duplicated.
- Meta description: to see which ones are missing the meta description, which ones are duplicated and which ones have more or less characters than they should.
- H1: to see which pages have no h1 (there should only be one h1 per page), if there are duplicate h1s…
- H2: to see if there are h2, if they are not duplicated…
- Images: to see if the images are optimised: It is recommended that they weigh less than 100kb, that they have an alt attribute and that it describes the content of the image.
- URL: shows us information about the url.
- Overview: shows us everything in folders and subfolders, indicating the amount and percentage.
Seobility is a web tool that crawls and analyses the SEO of any website and performs a quick audit.
Copyscape is a free tool to detect what content is being copied and how much duplicate content a web page has. With it you can verify the originality of the texts of a website.
Google Search Console
One tool that can not be missed is Google Search Console (formerly called Webmaster Tools), once we verify the ownership of a domain with this tool we can, among other things, check the indexation of our website in Google, optimise its visibility in the search engine and solve problems.
One of the most important tools is Google Analytics, many other tools get their data from this tool. Google Analytics provides us with reports to analyse the traffic a website receives.
Answer the Public
Answer the Public tool is a web page where you can enter any keyword and choose the country and language to see what users are looking for on the internet about that word, such as questions, suggestions, comparisons, etc. It shows us that information as an image called “search cloud” and also as a text. It has a free version and a paid version.
Google Keyword Planner
Google Keyword Planner is a Google tool to do a keyword search, it generates keyword ideas based on the word we write in it.
Also Asked shows us questions that people ask on Google about any topic.
The Ubersuggest tool shows an analysis of keyword or domain traffic and helps us to find new keyword and content ideas.
Keyworddit provides keyword ideas, but in this case they are from Reddit.
Site Checker is a web application to audit a website for free, showing us a score and different points to improve.
Sistrix is a set of tools used to find out if something is going wrong or right on a website. It is one of the best and as usual it’s not free, but it offers 14 days free for the premium version with all the features.
Anyway, the Sistrix tools in this link are all free.
The SEO Workers tool generates an SEO report when we enter the url of any web page, in which we can see what is good and what needs to be corrected, as well as explanatory SEO videos by Matt Cutts.
Free linkbuilding tools
Open Link Profiler
Open Link Profiler is a free link analyser. It’s a quite complete tool, although it’s a much lower level than Ahrefs.
Ahrefs Backlink Checker
Ahrefs Backlink Checker is a free version of the powerful SEO tool Ahrefs which is used to check backlinks.
PageSpeed Insights from Google indicates the time it takes to load a website and a score. According to Google, less than 50 is considered poor, from 50 to 90 it needs improvement, and 90 or more is good, but it is recommended to have at least a score of 70 on PC. This tool also gives you indications on how you can make your website load faster.
The Google Trends tool shows us the popularity of any word on a given site. With it we can see the trends and how much traffic certain keywords have.
Mobile Friendly Test
Mobile Friendly Test is another one from Google, this one is used to check if a website is adapted for mobile devices.
Wayback Machine is a digital archive of the internet that shows us what a website looked like in the past.
Google Alerts monitors certain keywords or the name of any brand or company that we insert and notifies you when those terms are mentioned on the internet.
Conclusion free SEO tools
This has been a selection of the best free SEO tools that we can find on the internet. Many of them have a premium version, but with the free versions we have seen we can start to analyse and optimise our website.
Which free SEO tools do you think are the best that I haven’t mentioned?
Do you need help with the SEO of your website? Get in touch!